Thursday, 8 September 2011

Treasure on the beach!


Well, looking out of the window, Summer seems to have made a quick exit. I hope not. A lovely September would be just what we need.
I've had a very busy but most enjoyable summer. My little feet have hardly touched the floor!
Dashing up and down the country, visiting different groups. I've met so many lovely people and I'd like to thank them all for making me so welcome.
We did a Book Wraps workshop here, in Evesham and I couldn't resist showing you the fantastic work that my friend Sue bought along.
Rowan and I have been doing lots of walking and our favourite has been along our own version of the Halcyon river.
Being a Flat Coated Retriever, my dog loves water. So. . . .she swims along while I follow the footpath.
Over the last few months we've watched the landscape change, the wheat ripen and wild flowers in their best clothes. We watched the Buzzard family raise their young, teaching them to fly and hunt over the fields under Bredon Hill.
Best of all, after about a mile we come to a wood , the river twists and turns and then our favourite place appears. . . a little pebble beach.
Oh dear, I've spent so much time here, sitting on the river bank . It's a place of dappled sunlight, dancing leaves and laughing water. Heaven.
The Kingfisher flew past a few times, even though Rowan makes a bit too much noise, splashing.
On the beach I found treasure, just some fossils, but treasure anyway. Lovely little star shaped crinoids, devils toe nails, belamnites and others I can't identify. ( Hope I've got the spelling right!)
Last weekend I had the pleasure of teaching at Westhope Craft college for the first time.
What a wonderful place, in deepest Shropshire. Have a look at their website http://www.westhope.org.uk, its all very tempting!
We were making folding books and some fantastic work was produced. . in spite of (or perhaps because of) all the chatting, laughing and eating.
It was a great weekend and an inspirational place in which to spend it.

4 comments:

Ann Somerset Miles said...

Just lovely - I must read this again - and catch up with all your recent posts; mine have deteriorated; just too hectic with too many projects. Hope you are well.

Clare Wassermann said...

How wonderful - your river sounds exquisite - I wonder where it is. We found some fabulous streams and rivers inDartmoor this summer. So clear that we drank from them and the children swam in the rocky pools. I can't get it out of my mind and so I need to find more rivers, nearer which are like yours. Take care xx

annette emms said...

Ann, thank you.There just isn't enough time for all our interests is there!

Clare, thank you. The river is the Isbourne which flows into the Avon at Evesham. It is idyllic,very shallow after the long summer drought but given heavy rain it can be dangerous as it was in the floods a few years ago.
I find I am addicted to my river and I spent far too much time day dreaming there!
Please come, I don't mind sharing. . .but don't tell anyone else.! x

artymess said...

Lovely journal cover ...and I love the fossils...........x