Tuesday, 2 July 2013

Another path . . .

This path led me, a friend and our doggy pals, through the fields and up the hill to Saintbury.
The church perches on the edge of the Cotswold hills, a landmark for miles around.




I was thrilled to find the church open, it became redundant some years ago.
Now, it is in the safe hands of the Churches Conservation Trust and work was going on inside.
Exciting work to reveal hidden secrets!






Two highly skilled young people were carefully scraping away the layers of whitewash to reveal the wall paintings. If you peer at my photo you can see the colours and shapes emerging.
Imagine, being the first person to see these works of art, for hundreds of years?
We stood transfixed , watching as bit by bit the plaster fell away, until the dogs let us know they had waited long enough.



Outside, above the blocked up north door, is a Saxon sundial.
Can you see the little crosses? They marked the time of services.
I don't know why these things fascinate me . . .but they do.



On the way home we called and the Wayside tea rooms.
Funny , odd chairs, mis matched cups a lovely pot of tea and chocolate Victoria sandwich with chocolate chips and chocolate icing. . . I like this path.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: